Brigitte Chan is a partner with Bereskin & Parr LLP. She is the Head of the firm’s Montréal office and Co-leader of the firm’s Litigation & Contentious IP practice group.
Brigitte provides legal and strategic advice to domestic and International clients on trademark prosecution, opposition, licensing and enforcement, as well as on industrial design, copyright, related regulatory matters. She holds both a Civil Law degree and a Common Law degree and is a member of the Quebec and Ontario Bar, appearing before the Federal courts and Trademark Opposition Board.
Brigitte supports the profession as a member of the Board of Directors of the College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA) and is dedicated to education, having been Course Director of the 2022 and 2021 McGill / IPIC Trademark Course, lecturer and workshop leader for the course for over a decade. She was also a member of the 2022 and 2021 Advisory Board of the Canadian General Counsel Awards. Brigitte is a frequent author on various topics, such as protecting brands in the Metaverse, non-traditional marks, licensing and Quebec French language issues, and is repeatedly recognized as a top-tier professional in both national and international publications, including the World Trademark Review 1000 and Best Lawyers directory.
She received the 2021 Order of Merit from the University of Ottawa, Civil Law Section, in recognition of her achievements, and is a member of the Advisory Board to the Dean of the Civil Law Section, uOttawa.
Outside of work, Brigitte gives back to the community through charitable and philanthropic initiatives. She offers the Brigitte Chan Bursary in Intellectual Property Law, awarded to a student who demonstrates a marked interest in intellectual property law at the uOttawa, Civil Law Section, and inspired the creation of the university’s fundraising initiative 100+ diplômées qui donnent. She also supports her local community through 100 Woman Who Cares in Montreal.
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1999
- LL.L., University of Ottawa, 1997
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 2005
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2000
- Admitted to the Québec Bar, 1998
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (FACL)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Fellow
- Quebec Bar (QB)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)