Ian McMillan is a lawyer and patent agent. He is a partner with Bereskin & Parr LLP.
Ian’s practice focuses on patent and technology law, obtaining and evaluating intellectual property rights for clients in the high technology and mechanical fields, assisting clients with intellectual property and technology transactions, enforcement of intellectual property rights and avoiding infringement of third-party intellectual property rights.
Ian helps clients in a wide variety of technologies including image processing software, medical and dental imaging, image compression software, data encryption software, emulator systems and software, computer-based mechanical control systems, bioinformatics, automotive, audio and acoustic technology, fuel-cells, fluid mechanics, wind turbines, LEDs, humidity controls, injection moulding, metal recycling, cosmetics, computer-implemented business methods, optometry, mass spectrometry and radar systems.
Ian also advises his clients on other IP issues, including copyright, trade secrets, and trademarks. He regularly contributes to various publications.
Ian has contributed extensively to patent education in Canada. Ian has been a tutor at the annual Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)-McGill University Patent Course. Ian also served as a tutor for several years with the IPIC Committee that provides annual patent agent training sessions.
Outside of work, Ian enjoys hiking, exercising, and spending time with family and friends.
- LL.M., University of Toronto, 2001
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1993
- B.Sc. (Mathematics and Engineering), Queen’s University, 1990
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 2005
- Registered Canadian Patent Agent, 1997
- Registered United States Patent Agent, 1997
- Admitted to the New York Bar, 1996
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 1995
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar, 1995
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- Law Society of British Columbia (LSBC)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- New York State Attorney Registration