Brigitte Chan is a partner with Bereskin & Parr LLP and head of the firm’s Montréal office.
Brigitte provides legal and strategic advice to domestic and International clients on trademark prosecution, opposition, licensing and enforcement, as well as on industrial design, copyright, related regulatory matters. She holds both a Civil Law degree and a Common Law degree, and is a member of the Quebec and Ontario Bar, appearing before the Federal courts and Trademark Opposition Board.
She is the recipient of the 2021 Order of Merit from the University of Ottawa, Civil Law Section, in recognition of her achievements. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA) serving a three-year term until 2024, and was a member of the 2022 and 2021 Advisory Board of the Canadian General Counsel Awards. She is also dedicated to the education, having been Course Director of the 2022 and 2021 McGill / IPIC Trademark Course, lecturer and workshop leader for the course for over a decade.
Brigitte is a frequent author on various topics, such as protecting brands in the Metaverse, non-traditional marks, licensing and Quebec French language issues, and is repeatedly recognized as a top-tier professional in both national and international publications, including the World Trademark Review 1000 and Best Lawyers directory.
Outside of work, Brigitte enjoys ballet classes, spending time with her family and discovering little pleasures of life.
“It isn’t what we say or think that defines us, but what we do.” (Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility, 1811)
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1999
- LL.L., University of Ottawa, 1997
- Registered Canadian Trademark Agent, 2005
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2000
- Admitted to the Québec Bar, 1998
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (FACL)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Fellow
- Quebec Bar (QB)
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents (CPATA)
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)